Wen's Woffle

An intermittent blog for work and play!

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

What do I do with all this stuff I'm learning about?


This is my question to myself today. How can I use the technology I'm learning about an effective teaching tool for me, and even more importantly, how to I use it to make learning effective? I've been looking at several videos (see past posts) that basically say if you don't engage your students they don't learn. How am I to present I/L stuff and make it interesting? After attending yesterday's wikieducator meeting at the Polytechnic, I don't think forming a library wiki for students is necessarily the best way to go. It seems I and the students would have more flexibility if I used a blog as a learning space. I'm not sure I fully understand why...confusion here. I could start another blog specifically aimed at sharing I/L skills. This could include work sheets/quizzes/FAQ/how to's/videos/example searches etc. I'm presently trying to develop a module on how to searcheffectively, and aiming it at foundation students. I'm (actually Susan and I) are using Magnolia and I'm wondering if I would be better using a blog.... mmmmmm. A big thanks to Michael Bretherton who gave me permission to add his photo to my blog. I found his image on http://www.sxc.hu/

1 Comments:

At 2:19 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

was it something I said that turned you off wikis?

I reckon you should use a wiki (one that has an active community with it) to develop your course/lesson materials, and then when it is ready - copy past it to your blog, or point to it from your blog.

Why? Because in a wiki you have the benefit of collaborative opportunities. Because you are distributing your work wider. You are experiencing another useful technology that has very different applications to a blog. And you are developing resources in a very much open way that makes them far more reusable then if they simply existed in a blog.

Development platform is what a wiki really is. If it was the text heavy and generally uncool look of the wikis we looked at that that turns you off them, then think of them as primarily a development tool from which you can copy paste (or link to) in your blog, email, text message, printed handout or other method...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home